Monday, March 21, 2011

Book Review Journal Entry #2 - "The Life and the Death of Charlie St. Cloud"

"The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud" - Ben Sherwood



Upon reading last night I read a passage that struck chord with me, and thought it was worth reflecting upon. The passage goes as follows:

"...Did the dead grieve right alongside us? Did they feel our pain? She had always been taught that they were in a better place, that they were embraced by the light, that they were with the angels. But what if that really wasn't what happened? What if the loss was just as heart wrenching for the dead as for the living? What if the pain never went away?..."

I remember right after my grandmother died (whom I was so very close to and spoke with several times each day) wondering the same thing. But what if she misses me as much as I miss her, the pain seemed soo hard to bear? I was so confused about where she was and very concerned about how she was feeling? was she missing us as much as we were missing her, and I couldn't bear the thought. I missed her soo much it hurt and the urge to just hear her voice one more time was soo strong, and nothing seemed to satisfy it. I mourned for all the things she would miss and all the things I would miss about her.

Be prepared to get teary eyed at the end of the book, it really is a moving story about love transcending all boundaries and that need for reassurance that all is right in the world, both here and beyond. I was very entranced in reading this book and would highly recommend it to anyone but especially to anyone that has lost someone they love. It certainly causes you to reflect on things and ask yourself questions, and maybe makes you pay attention to the small things happening around you each and every day.

Hope you enjoyed my review of this book and stay tuned for the next one. I have just started reading "At First Sight" by Nicholas Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin